Real Food Monday ~ Elote or as we call it AWESOME Mexican Corn on the Cob May 08 2017, 0 Comments
Elote is Mexican grilled corn on the cob. It is deliciously addictive. The ears are smothered in a creamy mayonnaise sauce flavored with chili pepper and then grilled Hot off the grill you add more of the mayonnaise sauce, role in salty Cotija cheese, sprinkle with chopped cilantro and top it off with a squirt of lime. What you end up with is an Elotes that is smokey, tangy, sweet and slightly spicy....a concoction that is truly amazing.
We serve this with a big green salad and grilled sourdough bread.
- 1/4 cup of sour cream or Mexican Crema
- 1/4 cup of mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon of ancho or chipotle chili powder
- 1 medium garlic clove minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ears corn
- 1/2 cup crumbled Cojita cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 2 limes wedged up
- Heat grill for at least 5 minutes
- While grill is heating mix together the first six ingredients in a bowl until well blended
- Peel back the corn husks, leaving them attached at the base, and remove the silks
- Brush the kernels with some of the mayonnaise mixture
- Grill the corn on a hot grill until slightly charred, turning it so it gets cooked evenly all over
- Remove from grill and brush the corn with more of the mayo mixture
- Roll corn in Cojita Cheese, sprinkle with cilantro, add a squirt of lime
You can adjust the taste as you like. Want more heat or chili flavor? Add some ground cayenne pepper or chili powder to the mayo. Even sprinkle on top of the corn after cooking if you like.