REAL FOOD MONDAY ~ Real Food Budget Recipe June 05 2017, 0 Comments
A prime example of real, whole foods done right is this Mediterranean Farro Salad With Spiced Chickpeas from BUDGE BYTES. They have some really good, budget friendly recipes, made with whole food items.
When making this recipe you do not have to use Farro, you can choose other grains like Couscous or Quinoa. This dish is delicious, perfect for summer and fits into my budget. The whole thing takes about 20 minutes to make
MEDITERRANEAN FARRO SALAD WITH SPICED CHICKPEAS
- ⅓ cup tahini
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 15oz can chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ⅛ tsp cayenne (optional) $0.02
- Freshly cracked pepper (10-15 cranks of a mill)
- Salt to taste
- 3 cups cooked farro (or other grain)
- 2 Roma tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- ¼ bunch parsley
- To make the dressing, combine the tahini, water, lemon juice, minced garlic, cumin, cayenne, and salt in a blender. Blend until smooth. Set the dressing aside until ready to use (keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days).
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas in a colander. Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Once hot add the drained chick peas. Sprinkle the smoked paprika, garlic powder, cayenne pepper (if using), and some freshly cracked pepper over top. Stir the chickpeas to coat in the spices, then continue to sauté for about five minutes, or until the outside of the chickpeas are slightly browned and blistered. Season with salt to taste.
- Chop the tomatoes, cucumber, and parsley. Place about ¾ cup cooked farro in each bowl, then top with chopped tomato, chopped cucumber, spiced chickpeas, and a large pinch of chopped parsley. Drizzle the dressing over top and serve.
recipe and photos from BUDGET BYTES
OUR SUMMER SOLSTICE CSH IS HERE! you can only order until June 13th. Limited supply